Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Easy Crockpot Chili

So....it is cold and snowy here, really snowy.  I decided yesterday morning was a perfect day to make a big batch of chili.  Then I decided I would share my recipe.  I make chili in a slow cooker.  I believe chili is best when slow cooked so the ingredients meld together and cooking it that way makes the house smell wonderful.  The bonus is that is you can't be home you can start it in the morning and it will be all wonderfully warm and ready for supper when you get home.  This recipe is very easy and I have made it in very large batches for meetings for my former job and it has always gotten rave reviews.  So....here ya go.

What you'll need:
1lb ground beef
1lb beef stew meat
1lb sausage
1lb ground deer, elk, etc (completely optional, if I have it I throw it in, if not, no biggie)
2-3 cans your choice of beans (I use 1 can chili beans and 1 can dark kidney beans)
1-2 cans petite diced tomatoes (you decided how much tomato chunks you want)
1 12oz can tomato juice
1 12 oz can regular V8
1 12 oz can spicy V8
       (you can do 2 cans of either V8 depending on how much spice you want)
2 pkgs chili seasoning

Directions:
Cut stew meat into small chunks if the chunks are originally very big.  Brown each meat, separately, in a skillet and add to slow cooker. 
 
Stir in the beans and tomatoes one can at a time, deciding how "beany" and "tomatoey" you want your chili
 
 
Add in the cans of tomato juice and V8.  If you put a lot of beans and tomatoes in you might need to add an extra can of V8, your choice depending on how spicy you want your chili. Then stir in your chili seasoning.  That's it!  Put the lid on, put the crockpot on high if you are cooking it less than 4 hours and can stir occasionally, low or medium if it will be on all day and you won't be able to stir it. 
 
 
This recipe makes quite a bit but left-overs are nearly always my goal any time I cook.  I freeze leftovers in small twist-top storage containers.  They make super easy lunches or suppers later. 
 
Enjoy!
 
What's your favorite cold-weather meal?  Or your favorite slow-cooker recipe?
 
***Edit; this recipe is also wonderful for large gatherings, made in a large roaster, just keep the proportions the same.  Make way more than you will need and freeze the extra in gallon freezer bags laid flat on a cookie sheet***

 
 

1 comment:

  1. Yummo! This is going on the menu next week :)
    The usual cold day meal for us is a roast with all the normal additions, potatoes, carrots, onions. Gotta love a good pot roast.

    ReplyDelete