Monday, February 17, 2014

Cloth Wipes...my system

As a member of a few cloth diaper groups on Facebook I often see questions about the easiest way to use cloth wipes and about cloth wipe solutions.  I've also had several friends ask me about them and because a friend asked today I decided I would share my system.  Obviously this may not work for all but I've used it for 2 years now and haven't ever been even a little tempted to do anything different because I find it to work so well. 

I pretty much exclusively use RagaBabe wipes.  They are made of fantastically soft cotton Sherpa material and in my opinion are just the perfect size and thickness for wiping little bums.  I've tried a few other brands and have always gone back to my RagaBabes.  And, as mentioned in my "favorite cloth diapers" post, RagaBabe is a small, family owned company from right here in the USA so that's an added bonus.

I store my wipes in "GladWare Family Size Food Storage Container", I got them at Walmart for right around $5 for a pack of 3 and they measure about 9" x 9" x 4'.  I have one with dry wipes that I fill as a load of diapers gets folded and one with wet wipes that I keep ready for changes (I use the third for actually storing food).  As you can see the RagaBabe wipes fit PERFECTLY in this container.  I just lay them out flat, all stacked up.



Then, for my wipes solution...well...I buy it.  I know, I know, the internet is teaming with recipes for DIY wipes solution and that is a perfectly acceptable route to go!  But again, through a wonderful group of cloth diaper mamas on Facebook I discovered Scarlet's Naturals.  They are yet another small, family owned USA company and have the most amazing line of natural products.  I use their Hiney Honey Bites to make my wipes solution. 


As I said, I've used this system for 2 years now and unlike reports I frequently hear from other mamas I have NEVER had an issue with mildew, mold or even just bad smell in my wipes container.

Desiree at Scarlet's recommends using a "bite" per 3oz of water but I haven't found I need that much.  For my container, full of wipes, I use 4 cups of water and 4 "bites".  I heat my water in the microwave for about 4 minutes until it is quite hot to the touch but not boiling (yes, I am sure you could use the stove as well) and then I drop in my 4 "bites" and stir until they are melted (only takes about 30 seconds). 


 
 
Then...pour the solution over your wipes in your container, pop the lid on and you are done!  The lid is easy to take off with one hand if you forget to open the container before you remove a poopy diaper and stays sealed really well!  Then just throw them in with your diapers to wash.
 
 
 
It might sound gross to some but I use the same CLEAN wet wipes for wiping noses, faces, hands, spills, etc. (I know my wash routine and trust me, those suckers are CLEAN by the time I get done with them).  The ingredients in the "bites" are all natural and the wipes themselves are so wonderfully soft they are perfect for sensitive kid and baby skin.
 
If you hurry over today (Feb. 17th) Scarlet's is having a President's Day Sale!
 
Let me know if you have any questions or feel free to share your cloth wipe system!  

2 comments:

  1. You have a great system. I wish this had been around when my kids were little. I used cloth diapers, and for wipes, I had a collection of soft, old wash cloths. You've really got it down to a science!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your system. It makes switching to cloth wipes seem less intimidating.

    ReplyDelete