Monday, February 10, 2014

Breakfast Casserole Recipe

Well...a weekend that just didn't go as planned, a baby who isn't feeling super and a toddler who has been snowbound in the house for WAY too long all add up to not getting the post I planned to put up today quite finished.  So, I thought I would share another of my favorite easy recipes instead. 

I originally got the basis for thise recipe from my "2nd mom", Cindy and loved it.  I've seen others similar to her original one but most of them turn out...in my opinion...a little...small.  If I'm gonna make a breakfast casserole I want it to be worth the effort.  So, I tweaked this one until I got it how I wanted it.  In my former job I often held "meetings" with groups of farmers and ranchers, on the side of a dirt road by a field of wheat or grain sorghum, at 7am or so.  And I almost always served them breakfast out of the back of my SUV.  The guys loved this casserole so much I learned I was going hear a lot of grief if I ever showed up at one of those meetings without it!  I've also served it at baby shower brunches, church potlucks and my MOPS group and it gets the same overwhelmingly positive response.  So...here ya go!

What you'll need:
1 8oz can of crescent rolls
2 lbs regular ground sausage
2 cups shredded fiesta blend cheese
1 dozen eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
butter for greasing pan
9 x 13" casserole dish

Crumble and brown sausage in a skillet.   Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Coat sides and bottom of 9 x 13 inch casserole dish with butter.  Line bottom of casserole dish with prepackaged crescent rolls.  Layer sausage evenly on top of crescent rolls (I apologize I forgot to take pics of these first steps!).  Cover sausage with shredded cheese.  
 As you can see, the sausage will be almost completely covered with cheese.
 
 
Crack eggs into a large bowl, whisk together, add milk, salt and pepper, whisk together.  Pour egg mixture over sausage and cheese.  The egg mixture should almost completely cover your cheese and sausage. 
 
 
Bake at 350, usually about 35-45 minutes but it seems to vary each time I make it, until top is browned, casserole is firm and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cut and enjoy! 



You can assemble this casserole ahead of time and stick it in the fridge until you need it.  And the leftovers warm up really well.  Hope you find it as tasty as I do.  

1 comment:

  1. That looks delish! I need to try this recipe soon.

    ReplyDelete