Monday, February 24, 2014

A Whole New World

Well, Good Night! (that is my Grandma's most common phrase of surprise or emphasis), I can't believe it's been a week since my last post!  I am so sorry.   Most days I truly do not know where the time goes. 

Anyways, this post has been on my mind since last week and I am finally getting it all typed up.  At the very end of last year my favorite Christian music station, KLove, issued a challenge to it's listeners.  It was called the "30 day challenge" and it asked you to listen to nothing but Christian radio for 30 days, beginning January 1st and see what happened to your attitude, perspective, faith, etc.  Well, I started a little late, but I took the challenge!  Since reception for KLove is spotty here I changed it a touch, I listened nothing but KLove and to Christian talk radio on Bott Radio Network (I have listened to BOTT for several years now). 

Well...can I just tell you, well over a month in now and my perspective has completely changed.  Since last January, when my world fell down around my ears, I have had some hard lessons about how easily I had fallen into the trap of being a Christian who really doesn't notice the "worldliness" of the society around her and when I did notice I usually just chose to overlook it or say "it's not THAT bad".  But this challenge has given me even more tools to notice those things and not ignore them.  It has been amazing.  And it has been such an uplifting, encouraging gift to my life.  It seems no matter how my day is going, good or bad, the program or playlist on whichever of the 2 channels I'm listening to is always perfect to uplift me from the drudgery or boost my good day even more. 

So, the other day I had a wonderful reminder of how I have come to view the world around me in a different light.   Our 2 year old wanted to play with play-doh so I was sitting at the computer doing some work while he played beside me at the table.  I decided to turn on some Disney Movie songs for him (please don't roast me about Disney!).  About halfway into the third song I realized now I was hearing those songs in a completely different way than they were intended and completely different than I had ever heard them before.  Why?!  Because the emotional, spiritual filter through which all outside influences must pass to get to my brain is different than it was a year ago or even a month ago, it is so much BETTER!   Now, you might think I'm a little silly but let me give you an example (I'm fairly certain most will recognize which movie these lyrics come from);

I can show you the world
shining, shimmering, splendid
tell me princess, now when did
You last let your heart decide?

I can open your eyes
Take you wonder by wonder
Over, sideways and under
On a magic carpet ride

A whole new world
A new fantastic point of view
No one to tell us no
Or where to go
Or say we're only dreaming

A whole new world
A dazzling place I never knew
But when I'm way up here
It's crystal clear
That now I'm in a whole new world with you
Now I'm in a whole new world with you

Unbelievable sights
Indescribable feeling
Soaring, tumbling, freewheeling
Through an endless diamond sky

A whole new world
Don't you dare close your eyes
A hundred thousand things to see
Hold your breath - it gets better
I'm like a shooting star
I've come so far
I can't go back to where I used to be

A whole new world
Every turn a surprise
With new horizons to pursue
Every moment red-letter
I'll chase them anywhere
There's time to spare
Let me share this whole new world with you

A whole new world
That's where we'll be
A thrilling chase
A wondrous place
For you and me

Now, most of you will immediately recognize that as Aladdin and Jasmine, right?  But make yourself forget that for a moment.  Change your filter.  And read it as a conversation between Christ and YOU!  Obviously not quite ALL the lyrics work but many do, many could easily be an encouragement from Christ about how amazing the world is if we just follow His guidance.  Think about it for a bit, read back through those lyrics Princess, daughter of the almighty King (2 Cor. 6:18)....

Try another one...a very good friend of mine might like this one...it's from the Lion King...

So many things to tell her
But how to make her see
The truth about my past? Impossible!
She'd turn away from me

He's holding back, he's hiding
But what, I can't decide
Why won't he be the king I know he is
The king I see inside?

Need some help "filtering" this one?  Try it this way...as an unsure believer, like me until recently, who feels like they might not ever "deserve" Christ's gift in the place of Simba, and Christ in the place of Nala...

So many things to tell Him
But how to make Him see
The truth about my past?
Impossible! He'd turn away from me!

She's holding back, she's hiding
But what, I can't decide
Why won't she be the woman I know she is
The woman I see inside?

You don't have to take a challenge like the KLove one to change your perspective, your filter, but it certainly might help.  Challenge YOURSELF to see this world in a different light, the filter of Christ.  Look at things that were never intended to glorify Him and MAKE them do just that! 

"Can you feel His love tonight"?  I can, like never before!

No comments:

Post a Comment